Saturday, October 07, 2006

Brown Snake


Northern Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi) Here is a picture of one of the three snakes I found while moving a pile of lumber in my yard.
I was very excited when I found them. I know what you are thinking boring little brown snake (not much thought put in the name either), but I don't get many snakes in my yard and when I do they aren't exciting looking ones like a coral snake or a California Kingsnake. I have to take what I can get.
When I found this little critter I thumbed through my National Audubon Society Field Guide field guide to identify it. I was very happy to find out they eat SLUGS. I have been battling slugs in my gardens for years. They are welcomed in my yard anytime. I wonder if I can buy a "herd" of them to fend off the slugs since my wife won't let me get chickens to do the job.